Blog 14: Dentalism Start

Transcendentalism is a different concept, and it seems to be a weird one. It’s a little bit hard to understand. Some of Emerson’s writings like “Nature” and “Self Reliance” have deeper meanings behind them, than what just lies on the surface. But, the argument for this transcendentalism stuff is; is man naturally good? Or is man naturally evil? To some people, this argument is very controversial. Because like in transcendentalism one of their principles is basically question everything, and they do question everything. In my opinion, I think man is naturally evil. My reasoning for that statement is that people are only good because of the rules in our society, and people scared of facing the repercussions of breaking the rules. For example, if someone left their keys in their car, and the car was unlocked. Would you take the car? Probably not because you are afraid of breaking the rules that society has put in place. Because if you do take that car, you would face the repercussions. Like jail time or maybe even worse. But deep inside of your body and mind, you want to take that car, and do whatever you want with it. There are many other scenarios I could give you to say that man is naturally evil but I do not have the time for that nonsense. So in my opinion transcendentalism is a different and weird concept to understand. Also that man is naturally evil instead of naturally good, because people are afraid of repercussions and bad things that will happen to them if they do not follow the rules in our society today.